Thursday 8 November 2012

Message and Delivery: Reserarch



To start this brief I made thumbnails of original ideas and themes for the posters. I started off with the text and image thumbnails as I thought that that was the easiest to start with as it combines both elements of the other 2 posters. I also think that it is easiest to communicate a message using both text and image. One the deliverables of the brief was the limit of 2 colours and a stock. I decided from early on that i wanted to use the colour red. Red is shocking and eye catching. It also coincides with the gory, bloody nature of the destruction of the earthquake.

Text and image poster thumbnails:







I really like this image, I actually designed this for the image poster to start with. However I didn't think that the image was clear enough by it's self, so decided to add the text. I think when designed properly it will work really well.


Image poster thumbnails:




This particular thumbnail is based on the image of the sentencing. I think if illustrated well it could become an iconic image. I would like to stencil the image and make it look like street art to connote a propaganda style.


Text poster thumbnails:







I decided to add this play on words. I think it is simple yet effective. I really think it grabs the audience's attention and makes them stop and read. The play on words 'misquake' also aids the theme of the poster with out making it garishly obvious and apparent.

Final thumbnails that I want to develop further:






Text and image poster:







I started off by creating this cut paper stencil of a skeleton hand. I find it easier to create stencils by hand as i have a good level of control with a scalpel. i then scanned the image in to photoshop. Next I cut the hand out using the lasso tool. I edited the levels and adjusted the scale so it fit my poster dimensions.


I then created a blood like splat using fake blood and ink. I think the blood is really effective. I like the 3D, life like texture of the blood against the bold black outline. It adds a juxtaposition and point of interest as well as intrigue. The blood and bones connote the death of all the people of L'Aquila. The bones also connote the death of science. I really like this imagery and at the start intended to use this poster as the image poster. However i thought it lacked context so added the phrase 'Blood on their hands'.






I was unsure of where to position the text, so tried in a variety of places in the end i settled on the third image. I think it is the best proportioned and scaled. I put the word 'blood' in red for a number of reasons. Firstly to strengthen the connotations of death and danger. I also think it balances out the poster really well, it adds visual aid helping to guide the viewers eye over the page, allowing them to take in all the information at one time rather than creating one focal point.


Text poster:



As i already new the message of this poster I started straight away by looking at different typefaces. Because of the strong stylised message I didn't want the typeface to detract or over complicate that. I used Helvetica as it is simple and stylish. I also drew inspiration from the conceptual, simple style of modernism, in particular swiss modernism. I wanted to make the posters bold and clear. i think the simple font and strong message have helped me accomplish this.

In keeping with the colour scheme I added red to the text poster. The deep red colour also highlights the play on words, as well as making more apparent the underlying message of the posters.



I really like the alignment of the type on this poster. I think it is dynamic and interesting. I was pleased with how this poster looked aesthetically, however i think it lacked content and meaning. At this point the poster wasn't specific enough.


I went back to my research and found this information. I made the points clear and concise. I played around with the layout and positioning. I wanted this information to be clear and legible but not detract from the strong, powerful message.


I stuck with the alignment for the added information. I like the varied weight and thickness of the typeface. I tried to stick with the bare minimum information needed to portray the message. This was to make the poster interesting and digestible. Overall I am really happy with this poster I think it is the strongest of the set. 


Image:

Out of the three this was the poster i struggled the most with. I found it really hard to communicate the appropriate message using just image. The lack of text meant that the image had to be both contextual yet simple and stylish to coincide with my other posters.



I thought that the seismic scale was the most symbolic imagery of an earthquake. I didn't want to over complicate the poster as it wouldn't fit in with the other two. I created the seismic scale on photoshop using the pen tool as well as lines and shapes. 



I added the same blood splatter as i used on the text and image poster, this helps to tie the posters together visually. I really like this poster. I think that the final three compliment each other perfectly and work well as a set, providing subtle hints and clues as to the over all meaning of the posters.



Final posters:














No comments:

Post a Comment