Wednesday 20 February 2013

OUGD406 Indesign Response: Camel DPS

PROCESS:

I started the process of my design by creating some thumbnail sketches of layout ideas.











This is my favourite layout thumbnail. I think it is simple and effective. Much like the Natural Geographic layouts i researched it is clear and precise. I think this layout will aid the readability of my final design. It is clear and functional.


PHOTOSHOP:



I started the process by editing an image of a camel using photoshop. Because i wanted the spread to have a vintage, collage feel to it i used the polygonal lasso tool to roughly select the outline of the camel.



As camels travel in herds and all look similar i repeated the same image 3 times and used the letters of the world camel to show a visual metaphor of the camels carrying a heavy load.  I also think it adds to the collaged overlapping aesthetic that i researched.


To further the collaged aesthetic I used the arabic translation on top of the camels. I used the 'Darken' layers tool so that it was slightly transparent. As i liked the colour scheme used in the camel image on from my research i decided to make the text red.



INDESIGN:

For the next stage of the process I set up the page layout on indesign creating a facing pages A3 format layout. I adjusted the bleeds and gutter measurements, something i learned how to do from the indesign workshop.





Next i created the grid so i could simply add the text and image to the double page spread.




I decided that adding more text columns to the layout would improve the readability of the information to i doubled the amount from 2 to 4. 


I then copied and pasted the information i had researched in to one of the columns. I clicked on the red cross over flow button seen in the bottom right hand corner and dragged it in to the next column, i repeated this till there was no over flowing text. I then resized all the text so it fitted perfectly in to the text columns.



This is the final design displayed in InDesign. I am really pleased with the outcome. I think i used my layout research effectively to make a double page spread appropriate to the brief.

The stock choice for my final design when printed (see physical hand in) really added to the aesthetic value, i chose antique white which is a rough textured sandy coloured thick paper. It really helped portray the collaged, vintage feel i wanted to create.


It had the same quality and feel of this poster i researched earlier.



FINAL DESIGN:











No comments:

Post a Comment