Tuesday 22 April 2014

OUGD505 Studio task 2: Sign up crit

OUGD505
STUDIO TASK 02
SIGN UP CRIT/TUTORIAL 

Today I had the chance to speak to Lorraine about the progress of my brief and was able to  address any worries or queries I had about the brief. One of the biggest issues i was having was defining my target audience, I asked lorraine about this and she gave me some really useful feed back, as the target audience i had in mind wasn't very considered and didn't have much purpose.

FEEDBACK AND CONSIDERATIONS TO FOCUS ON:

-Consider who the audience is

-Who would pay to go to the exhibition?

-Why would they be visiting the museum?

-Age range of visitors?

-Do they have disposable income?

-Where are they from?

From a mixture of Lorraine's questions and my own I was able to give my self a detailed profile on who the audience could be and why they would be visiting. I managed to break the audience in to 4 different categories:

TOURISTS:
Tourists are the first target audience, when site seeing in New York the guggenheim is often one of the stops to visit, I know this from experience. To entice this market i have to consider what would make this exhibition beneficial for tourists with busy schedules to want to visit. A UPS of the exhibition is the Guggenheim museum was actually designed by Frank Lloyd Wright him self. This is the strongest way to market the exhibition to tourists as they can see an actual physical example of Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture. With out sounding stereotypical the demographic of this audience would normally have a high income, enabling them to visit New York in the first place, because of this they are more likely to have a high level of intellect.

PROFESSIONALS:
Professional architects would be drawn to my exhibition as a reference to their own practice. Showing the beauty and structure of Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture through imagery, as well as having a high level of intellect should draw in this audience.

STUDENTS:
Design students in particular would be interested in the exhibition to provide inspiration to their own practice, as well providing contextual references for research purposes.

60 YEAR OLD +:
The last target audience is the nostalgia group. This is probably the smallest group. The exhibition will appeal to them as they would have been alive as these buildings were being built. To appeal to this target audience i will have to involve a lot of historical references and imagery.

I know feel a lot more confident in making design decisions based on the knowledge of my target audience. The feedback from Lorraine has been really useful in focussing me in on the design process and making rational and thought out design decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment