Tuesday 9 October 2012

Alphabet Soup: Partner Typeface



Through getting to know Danielle from my research i found lots of interesting and different routes I could have followed in this brief. One of her greatest passions was her love of motorbikes in particular the "Chief Indian Motorcycle''. Another element i chose to look at was one of her favourite designers Si Scott. Si Scott's work is very appropriate for the brief as he works prodominantly in black and white and by hand to create his intricate and delicate letter forms.






This is one of the designs that I took to the power crit. The design is based on the works of Si Scott. The feedback was that it was a good letterform, and elements of the letter such as the large, heavy block of black juxtaposed the intricate design well. However Amber suggested that i make the work more personal to me rater than a direct response to Si scott's work. I agreed with this, as i wanted to get something out of the brief for my self. so i decided to focus on elements of the Si Scott work, incorporating Danielle's love of Motorbikes.




With this letter i have traced and outlined part of a motorbike on to the letter form. I have looked at spacing and layout. I have used a bold, fat typeface to allow me to get all the detail into each letterforms. i have also eliminated all the negative spaces in each letter, i like the weight and depth this adds to the letters.







Final Typeface:






Here i have scanned each letter in and cleaned them up on photoshop. I inverted the typography so that the letterforms were white on a black background. I think this is really effective. I like the boldness of the white letters against the black background.



Here is the name tag that i have created for danielle, for this part of the brief we were allowed to experiment with colour:



 This is the layout of the name badge, i like the way that the letters are on 2 different lines. This is typical of si scotts work. I also like the way that the patterns interact with each other.






Here i have looked at the use of colour with in the letters. I really like the way the pattern changes when colour is added. For instance the very robust and mechanical pattern looks very feminine and soft when the pink tones are added.





This is the final design that i have chosen for the badge. I think it stands out a lot more than the others. The white also makes the letters pop. I think i have included key elements of Danielle's personality and answered the brief efficiently.






No comments:

Post a Comment