Friday 5 October 2012

Alphabet Soup: Visual Thinking



For this brief we had to design 10 10x10 letter forms based on a word that was randomly selected of us. The word that I selected was pop. This is the process I went through to create my final letters. I fist looked at the different definitions of the word 'pop'.

Words associated with pop
  • Popular
  • Bang 
  • Burst
  • Bubble
  • Boom
  • Explode
Pop is also an onomatopoeic word, meaning it when you say it out loud it mimics the sound of something popping, this is another route i could explore when designing my letterforms.


This is a computer generated design of the word pop applied to the letter form 'B'. I think that the circles are too uniformed, as the word 'pop' is more chaotic and uninformed. 

This is a design based on the previous. Here i have made the circles overlap and random,  they are more symbolic of bubbles. The chaos and hecticness adds new dimensions to the letter. I do like this design however i don't think the letter is clear enough.

For my final 10 letters i decided to keep the letter form the same, but experiment with different techniques and design with in the letter form.













No comments:

Post a Comment