Monday 17 March 2014

OUGD503 Responsive: Sheffield uni summer ball Invite

OUGD503
RESPONSIVE
SHEFFIELD UNIVERSITY 
SUMMER BALL INVITE

I was contacted by the Sheffield university social secretary and asked to design an invitation for the Mad Hatter themed summer ball. This was a really exciting experience for me as it is the first time I have been contacted by some one who has seen my work online. Capitalising on my mistakes in the F/11 brief that I undertook I made sure I had a clearly defined brief to work with for this project. It made life a lot easier and a lot more straight forward.


CONCEPT:
For this concept I focussed on the queen of hearts and playing cards. The client expressed the design should be classy and understated, rather than loud and obnoxious. I chose the colour scheme as it most fits the concept of Alice in Wonderland and the Queen of hearts.

THE DESIGN:





These were the first designs that I showed to the client in order to gain feedback. Over all she was happy with the design and said that it fulfilled the brief well. She wanted it to have more character and include illustrations also. This made me slightly nervous as I'm not the best illustrator. She said she was looking for traditional Lewis carol style art work.


VARIATIONS:




I tried a variation of different borders around the card. In the end deciding on the last one. This is the strongest, it frames the information well and doesn't detract from the over all design. The double line also fills the playing card aesthetic the most too.


BACK OF INVITATION:

I decided that the back of the invitation should be very decorative, like a playing card. I started the process by hand drawing a floral pattern. I then scanned it in and live traced it on illustrator using the pen tool. 





FINAL DESIGN:





This is one of my favourite briefs throughout the module so far. It has allowed me to step out side of my comfort zone and try new things. I am really pleased with the end result as is the client who has given me great feedback and said she will definitely be in contact if any other design opportunities arise. This brief has been very straight forward and stress free as opposed to the previous live brief I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment