Tuesday 25 March 2014

OUGD505: Research book Initial design and crit feedback

OUGD505
STUDIO BRIEF 01
RESEARCH BOOK INITIAL DESIGN
CRIT FEEDBACK

This was the book that I presented in the crit. Going in to the crit I wasn't happy with the design, I failed to utilise the layout designs that I had created prior to designing the book. This was also an unfinished design as I had rushed to get it completed in time for the crit, as a result i wasn't expecting a lot of positive feedback. Personally I feel i have focussed on trying to emulate a style rather than design it with my own style in character in mind, Because of this I plan to redesign the book, but it will be interesting to see if there are any features of this book that I could use in the redesign.







Feedback:Red shapes over the images are distracting, try and show the images off better by showing them full bleed with out the red shapes overlaid. 

My comments: This is really useful feed back, like I said previously i think i focussed to much on creating a style for the book, and as a result have compromised on the purpose of the book. Frank lloyd wright was a modernist architect and a forward thinker of his time, This means that 2 things should be apparent in the design of the book; Firstly it should show off his architecture, secondly form follows function, which means the design of the book should be effortless and not trying too hard to look like something else.


Feedback: Page Layouts are a little too unconventional and don't flow together.

My comment: I agree with this feedback, this is due to the lack of grids and layouts being applied. I need to utilise grids and layouts in order to create a cohesive and structured page layout that is interesting as well as informative.


Feed back: The use of 2 colours is eye catching and striking.

My comment: The colour choice is one of the things that I am pleased with the book. I like the subtle yet bold choice of colours and think it draws the reader in well.

Feedback: Keep consistency of the captions, needs captions of page full of images, what am i looking at?



No comments:

Post a Comment