Thursday 9 January 2014

OUGD503 Responsive: Purdeys Development

OUGD503
RESPONSIVE
PURDEY'S DEVELOPMENT



Original packaging: 

To start off the process of redesigning the purdey's packaging I decided to look back at there existing packaging and find out what is wrong with it. The first problem I see with the packaging is the colour. I think the design decision behind the silver colour is to show class and expensiveness. How ever I feel the silver colour could alienate and put of certain markets due to the expensiveness. The colour is also a misfit with the brand ethos. The Purdey's brand aims to revitalise mind body and soul and boast a ton of natural ingredients. I also think that the design is too cluttered and not simple enough. When i think of being rejuvenated I think of a clean, clear design. With this in mind i want to maintain key elements of the bottle but modernise and update it for a new, young and fresh target audience.


I started off by live tracing the bottle shape in Illustrator. I made a conscious decision to maintain the same shaped glass bottle for the packaging. This will with hold the existing markets connection with the brand. I feel to radicalise the bottle shape would lose Purdey's existing drinkers.





I tried a number of different colours to experiment what each colour would emote to the audience. Above are some of the colours i tried. On analysis and refocusing on the brief requirements I decided that none of these colours particularly sound the brand ethos.





These are the two colours that i have decided on for the final design. The green colour will be for the natural energy drink. Green has connotations of nature and freshness hence the choice. I struggled to decide on a colour for the Rejuvenate bottle. In the end I decided to use this blue colour. When I think of rejuvenation I think of calming blue skies and mellow blues which it the reasoning behind these colours.



These are the proposed designs that I will take to the crit. I am relatively pleased with the design but feed back from other people will be useful

DEVELOPMENTS:





I decided that i needed to add more texture to the design as they looked rather flat. I added this pattern, but in the end decided the bottle design was stronger before the pattern was added.


Over all i am relatively pleased with the development throughout this brief. I think that I have fulfilled my written brief and decluttered the design, giving it a more fresh, clean aesthetic.


CRIT FEED BACK:

During a mini crit that I arranged, the over all consensus was that the design was good, however looked like a development rather than a finished product. This re-affirmed what i had already been thinking. I decided to research further in to packaging design and try and create a new texture/colour scheme to make the design stronger.









No comments:

Post a Comment