Saturday 11 January 2014

OUGD504 Design for print: dying leather

OUGD504
DESIGN FOR PRINT
DYING LEATHER TESTS

Although I plan to leave my leather undyed I decided to experiment with a few techniques too see what the outcomes would be.

The first technique I tried was coffee staining.


I first boiled down a coffee and water mixture to make sure it was very concentrated. I did this to form a thick brown like paste. I then used a sponge to paint the solution on to the leather.


The result was a tan like leather. I liked the colour of the final outcome, however the solution seemed to dry out the leather and it became less playable and hard to work with.


The next method I tried was using leather shoe dye. As the dye is purposely mad for leather i am hoping the outcome will be more promising.







No comments:

Post a Comment